Wednesday, September 26, 2012

As my book gets closer to publication, I will be sharing some essays written by people who know me to introduce me to people who do not. Today I am sharing what my friend, Cathy Gomez, wrote. Cathy was my aide in school for the past two years.


As Ido’s Behavior Interventionist for four years, I was initially able to see him communicate with his mom every time I did a home session. It was very fluid and natural. I also went through the process of training to communicate with Ido. It was very difficult at the beginning because we had to build trust and a relationship. Ido was so anxious, but that slowly lessened. We practiced every other day and each time we got a little better until we reached the point that he was able to fluently communicate his thoughts to me. I was able to see the progress as well as Ido’s frustration when I misunderstood him. Recently it has been so exciting to watch Ido type on his iPad. The iPad will allow Ido to become more and more independent in so many more ways.   

Ido’s greatest strength is that he is resilient. He wants to experience and do things, just like you or I, even if they are more difficult for him. It takes a lot of courage to be mainstreamed in all regular classes, knowing that he will be the only student like him. Ido’s greatest challenges are controlling his emotions and body. He has a more difficult time managing feelings because they tend to quickly escalate. However, even when emotions are high, Ido is great at staying reasonable and listening to logic.
Working with Ido for the past four years, particularly the past two, when I was with him throughout the school day, has affected me significantly. He changed everything I knew about autism and people with disabilities. I was supposed to be the educator, but he has taught me more than I could learn from a professional.  In college I learned that autistic people can’t have empathy, which is a ridiculous notion. I now view people with autism or other disabilities the way I would anyone else. Ido has shown me that he isn’t held back by his disability. He goes hiking, likes to joke around, wants to learn new things, and reads faster than I do.

2 comments:

  1. Hello to the word, I'm Engr Eric David, I have confirmed and till now I'll still anouced to the public and the people around me that the best way to get rid of this health challenges is to contact the relaible Herbalist for herbal cures.
    I read deaply to have believe and try to made used of the medicine. When I was diagnosed on 10/10/2015, it was only the English prescribed I made use of all through, it was a very big stress for me, I had a friend who introduced me to to the great Herbalist of African, Dr. Odey Abang he's very popular now in my State, Anchorage, Alaska where I lives. I contacted him as my friend directed me to him for a help. Glory to God, my case is settle among many others are My two Cousins, James and John with wife's he cures from HIV/ AIDS, And till now, none of this had been confirmed in us, feel so blessed and happy to be back again as I was being born. I have been diagnosed severally and still shows nothing in us, Dr. Odey Abang is a God's sent Herbalist
    You can reach as well as inform your loves ones to get ride of this deathly viruses.
    You can reach him in either way
    Email-
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    God bless

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was a victim of Herpes for 3 years till I got intouched with a powerful Herbalist during my wonderful research and saw people given testimonies about his herbal redemedies. I felt reluctant at first and the next day I met another lady who wrote with Thanksgiving testified how the Herbalist cures her mum from the CANCER the PHYSICIAN THERAPIST confirmed she could only live for 2 months, lucky her health was restored after she contacted Dr. Odey Abang, my powerful Herbalist within 3 weeks and the medicine bring her back. I was moved to try on my part. Sooner,he replied back and told him all I heard. Miraculously with Faith it works for me as well. I recommend Dr Odey Abang, Most Spiritual And Intellectual Herbalist.
    He had successfully cure many through me and I saw here to make it known to you all
    Dr Odey Abang, is a step to your breakthrough.
    Contact him for your problem, he cures and bring back relationship,finiacial breakthrough and deliverance.
    Kindly contact him if you're interested in my words
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

FB Comments